The city’s Northwest Side is an eclectic mix of largely residential neighborhoods that many Chicagoans are proud to call home.
The Northwest Side neighborhoods are historically known for their ethnic roots. The area was orginally home to industrial factories and warehouses, attracting blue-collar immigrants, most noteably German, Polish and Mexican. Though the area has been able to maintain its unique local flare, real estate along the Chicago River is increasing in demand, bringing new residents to these neighborhoods.
If you’re looking for a real Chicago experience that doesn’t involve Michigan Avenue or Wrigley Field, the Northwest Side of the city is bustling with local culture and things to do.
Check out each of the Northwest Side neighborhoods. Under each guide you’ll find a neighborhood overview, maps, restaurants reviews, nightlife reviews, sights & attractions, and gyms & spas.
What’s Up on the Northwest Side of Chicago
- Hagen's Fish Market: Seafood is Lovefood
- Pizza Art Cafe (Restaurant, Lincoln Square/Ravenswood)
- The Patio Theater: Portage Park's Movie Palace
- UNDER THE ‘L’ – Western Brown Line
- UPchicago Bar Crawl: Edison Park
- Chris’s Billiards: A Chicago Classic
- Turtle Racing at Big Joe’s
- Underbar (Bar, Roscoe Village)
- Beat Kitchen (Bar, Roscoe Village)
- Hungry Brain (Bar & Music Venue, Roscoe Village)
- Liberty Lounge (Bar, Roscoe Village)
- Four Moon Tavern (Bar, Roscoe Village)
- Riverview Tavern (Bar, Roscoe Village)
- 5 Kickass... Chicago Bowling Alleys
- Chicago Folk & Roots Festival
- Don Juan Restaurante (Restaurant & Bar, Edison Park)
- Cho Sun Ok (Restaurant, North Center)
- Brigadoon (Bar, Portage Park)
- Kuma's Corner (Restaurant, Avondale)
- Julius Meinl (Cafe, Lakeview/North Center)
Check out all of UPchicago’s featured neighborhoods:
|Downtown||North Side||Northwest Side||South Side||West Side|
|Magnificent Mile||Edgewater||Ravenswood||Hyde Park||Humboldt Park|
|River East||Gold Coast||North Center||Pilsen||Logan Square|
|River North||Lakeview||Irving Park||UIC/Tri-Taylor||River West|
|South Loop||Lincoln Park||Roscoe Village||Ukrainian Village|
|Streeterville||Old Town/Near North||Wicker Park|